Monday, August 17, 2015




Family!!! This week has been amazing!! I don't even know where to begin. I
am just SO grateful to be on mission, and getting to see the gospel change
peoples lives!
MLC  was really good! Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and intimated by all
these powerful elders and sisters but the opportunity to learn from all of
them and from President and Sister Erickson is such a privilege.
During MLC we discussed a talk given by Elder Oaks titled "As He
thinketh in his heart" and it talked a lot about how the world's view on
standards about the family are depleting and how God's standards will never
change. It was so great and even to hear about some of the struggles a lot
of the missionaries have gone through. For all of my mission I just see this
surface of all the missionaries whose focus is going out to preach the
gospel but you would never be able to tell what they are hiding behind. I
wish I could explain myself better on what I was thinking, but just in awe
that God is apart of each of our life's. Each of us have gone through so
many things but yet here we are today sharing the gospel to people in
Malawi and Zambia. Every struggle, every trial has shaped us into who we are
today, but all of us are strong because of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am
just so grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day
Saints and to have the gospel bless my life.
There has also been a change in the mission schedule here. Before the
change our schedule was:
8:00 personal study
9-6 proselyting... and we could come back at 7 if we were teaching
and then do companionship study at night.
Now it is :
8:00 personal study
9:00 companion study
10-7 or 8 we are out proselyting. It will definitely be a change and we are
so excited about it! This means we can teach so many families!! I know in
my old area we couldn't teach many people because they were at work until 6
or 7, but now this opens up so many doors!
also.. Lusaka is amazing... I felt like I was back in the states. On
the drive from the airport to the mission home I was just speechless
looking out the window.
Yesterday was such a good day! I won't lie, at the beginning we were super
frustrated with two of our investigators. They were progressing so well
and the only thing keeping them from baptism is that they have to get
married. But they didn't come to church and we tried to see them at their
house and they weren't there. But then the Lord changed my perspective as
we went to see Matthew a Recent Convert who is about 50 years old. We were
teaching him about Tithing, and he pulls out his slip from the last time he
payed to ask a question. My heart dropped as I looked to see that he payed
100 kwacha for tithing 200 for fast offering and another 100 kwacha for
something else. 100 kwacha is like 20 cents.. if that. When we went to
visit him he was talking about how hungry he was and that he didn't have
food or money to get some lunch. And Matthew being himself was just
laughing about it, not asking for any money at all, and yet he his still
paying the little amount he has towards the church.
The faith and dedication that the saints here in Malawi have is what will
one day build the church. The church in Malawi has a lot of problems, but
it really is the saints like Matthew, who are helping it to grow. Every
Sunday it is just amazing to see all the members walking for at least half
an hour to come to church, because they know how important it is to come.
I love being on a mission. I am just so grateful for everything. I am so

happy to serve in Malawi, to watch them grow in the gospel and to see
their faith grown stronger and stronger. I love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment